Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Appear the Stranger

By Cordell Rich

would this man find a flower
and put it in a cage
and at some desperate hour
visit it with rage

or with colored words of anger
paint you black and blue
using words as if new spurs
are as gentle as the dew.

if I came upon his raging
with you cowering in fright
could you see it as a staging
to leave with me that night

or would I appear the strange
if I held to you my hand
would I appear the danger
my gesture a demand

a flower can grow so wilted
it has just the strength to stand
and a cooling sip of water
can drive it to the sand

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Maisie said...

This sings of burning regrets and yet.......... I am sure tucked into the corner of all our minds will be something that resonates with this. Loved it!!!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous JRNightingale said...

Can the abuser and the saviour be the same person? Yes. The duality works well and is truthful.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Chuck Petz said...

Several intricate allegories. Well done!

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home